Dear Mayor and Council,
I understand and support Whistler’s need for affordable employee housing. However, I oppose the rezoning of 2077 Garibaldi Way and the proposed development because it:
- does not meet the requirements of Whistler’s Official Community Plan;
- has a density and design that is wildly at odds with the surrounding neighbourhood;
- does not have appropriate access: 120+ additional vehicles will enter and exit through a quiet residential cul-de-sac;
- will make Highway 99 access more difficult and dangerous from the affected neighborhoods;
- is affordable for less than 10% of Whistler’s employee population;
- will not be governed by Whistler Housing Authority’s regulations and oversight.
I feel that this site should be developed in a manner consistent with existing housing in the area and zoning should not be changed to allow multi-story apartment buildings.